I logged into my blog yesterday and found a comment from Ide of Cups of Resin, who nominated me for a Liebster award! Thank you so much!! I had no idea what that was, but after snooping on Google, I found out it’s a nomination bloggers give other bloggers to spread the word to people with similar interests and gain new followers/people to follow! I love the idea and the fact that anyone thought of me for such a thing, so here are the questions Ide posed to her nominees:
- When and how did you discover the hobby?
Anime Conventions. I think it was the first AWA I went to. I’d been smitten by these awesome ‘anime dolls’ as I referred to them at the time and was dying to have one. Then I got home and looked at the price and was very discouraged. I didn’t think about it again until about a year later when one of my online friends was talking about making some for her characters. That’s when I got hooked.
- What made you stay?
I can’t really say I stayed. There were year hiatuses here and there because I just didn’t have the time, focus, or money to put into my dolls. I never boxed them up, but there were months they went without even being touched. I guess what made me come back and plant my butt permanently in the hobby, is the fact that I finally had the money and some of the time I’d wanted to work on them. As of now, it’s my most fulfilling hobby.
- How do you feel about the aging of BJDs (yellowing etc.)?
That it’s inevitable like many things in life. No matter how much effort you put into keeping your doll out of the sun and away from heat, it’s just going to happen. It’s really not a big deal unless you make it a big deal, and while I’m careful not to leave my dolls sitting in he window (anymore), I don’t let it hinder my activities with them.
- Do your dolls have a common “theme” ( a common backstory, certain types of clothes etc.)?
Not really. I do have some dolls interlinked as far as their backstories go, but some dolls are from old RP characters, while some were bought for the aesthetic and characters were made around that. I like both options, tbh. There’s so many possibilities for creativity!
- Do you prefer fullsets or customizing and why?
Customizing. It used to be because I just couldn’t afford fullsets. Anymore, it’s because I want to do my own faceups, pick my own clothing, and not have any influence besides what I can think up myself.
- If you do customize, what is your favorite thing to shop for (i.e. wig, eyes etc.)? If you prefer fullsets, do you shop for props or similar things for you dolls?
Eyes and accessories, I think. The main reason for the eyes is that while I’ve bought sets that just didn’t work, it’s never really a headache. Wigs are a headache. PANTS. Pants are a headache and a half. Shopping for eyes is really enjoyable. And, you never know what accessories you’re going to find to accent your dolls personality. Sometimes it’s the little things that really make them stand out.
- Do you prefer certain size BJDs (YoSD, MSD, SD etc.) and why?
I do prefer SD’s, and my reasons are the reasons people usually don’t like them. I enjoy the fact that they’ve got some weight to them. I guess it feels to me like they’ve got a little more substance that way, but that is my own opinion. Of course, I also like the fact that it’s easier to work on them as far as sewing/faceups go.
- Where do you find names for your dolls (if you name them at all)?
If they’re not pre-existing characters, I go searching through name databases and I try to match the meanings with the personalities I have in my mind.
- Where do you display/store your dolls?
They have their own curio/display case in the living/dining room. It’s far enough from any window that the cabinet doesn’t really see light, and I’ve got a special LED bulb that stays just above room temperature no matter how long you’ve got it going. I usually don’t turn it on unless I know people are coming over though, haha. Gotta show my babies off I guess.
- What would you like to see created/improved on by doll companies/artists?
More clothing options. I know it sounds silly with new doll clothes being added to Etsy daily, but not all dolls fit the specified clothing ranges. For example, Super Gem Female bodies are very hard to shop for, and it’s made worse when you have fantasy parts like hooves *cough*SoomAmber*cough*. My biggest frustration is finding clothes for my Dollshe Saint. I bought the DS18M body because it really fit his character, but it’s impossible to shop for. I actually had my friend mod a pair of pants I bought so they would fit his tiny waist. It’s made more infuriating by the fact that I have NEVER. EVER. seen clothing for it in stock on the Dollshe website. I just need a decent pair of pants and a top for crying out loud!
- Do you see the BJD community (online or IRL) as a significant part of your hobbying?
I do. It’s great to have support and encouragement from people you’ve never met, and commiserate some of the lower points of the hobby. It’s also good to stay updated on happenings and potential issues that arise.
I’m going to leave this tag open-ended and anyone who sees this post is welcome to link their own replies in the comments, because I will read them all and add your name to this post! Here are the rules:
- Thank the person who presented you the award and link back to their blog.
- Post the award image on your blog.
- Answer 11 questions posted by the presenter.
- Nominate 5-11 blogs with less than 200 followers.
- Create 11 questions for the nominees to answer.
- List these rules in your post.
- Inform the people you chose of their nomination by leaving a comment on their blog and link them your post.
And here are the questions:
- What’s your favorite sculpt of all time and why (does not have to be one you own)?
- Do you take your dolls out for meetups and conventions?
- If you could pick one part of the hobby to excel in, what would it be (photography, faceups, sewing, etc.)?
- What’s your least favorite part of the hobby?
- How does your family or those closest to you view your dolls?
- Out of your crew, which one is your problem child? If you only have one, what’s the worst feature of your doll?
- Which one is your favorite? If you only have one, what’s the best feature about your doll?
- Is the BJD community an important aspect to you?
- Which came first, the character or the doll?
- What features turn you off of a doll and is there a specific brand/sculpt you wouldn’t want to own?
- Are you waiting on or about to buy any new dolls?